Projects on My Plate

  • Veda's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Birthday Party
  • Sienna's Pencil Skirt
  • Pencil Skirt
  • Wardrobe re-do
  • Floral Skirt for Mommy
  • Breck's Bedding
  • Sienna and Veda's Bedding
  • Apron

Friday, October 8, 2010

Potato Pancakes

Last Sunday I was really craving some Brinner, but didn't quite feel like just the average pancakes or scrambled eggs, or omelets, etc. One of my favorite places to go on a Saturday morning, pre-student life, was the Old European Breakfast House. My mouth is watering thinking about it. We literally lived less than a quarter of a mile from this magnificent place, so it became quite the Saturday morning tradition for us before we moved to Moscow.

I would always get the Scandinavian Cake Plate, the most mouth watering plate of any cake-like thing for breakfast you can think of. Among these cakes were potato pancakes. As I remembered this last Sunday, I realized what kind of brinner I was looking for. Some good ole deep fried potato pancakes!

I looked for a good recipe, and finally tweaked one for myself. The result??? Let's just say I'll probably be making these way more than I'll be willing to admit.

If you'd like to try it out, and if you think these cakes would be up your alley, here's the recipe:

Potato Pancakes

2 potatos, washed and shredded
3 eggs, beaten
1-2 (to taste) tsp. dry chopped onions
3 tbsp. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup oil of choice for frying

Optional extras:
Butter
Lemon juice
extra salt
Sour cream

Once your potatoes are washed and shredded, pat them dry with a clean rag, paper towel, or anything that will absorb the moisture really really well. Place dried off potatoes in a bowl and add next four ingredients. mix thoroughly.

Heat oil in a frying pan until it is hot. By large spoonful, drop potato mixture into the oil , and immediately flatten out, so it takes the shape of a pancake. Let it fry for a little until you start seeing the edges turn brownish. Flip over and let it get golden brown on the other side.

Take out of the pan and place on a paper towel (or two) to drain.

This part is optional, but oh so delectable:

While they are still hot, drizzle lemon juice on the top of them. Follow with buttering them like you would a pancake, then sprinkle with salt from a salt shaker after that. Then spread sour cream over the top as a "syrup".

I'm also pretty sure hollandaise sause would be amazing on these...but then again...what doesn't taste a thousand times better with Hollandaise???

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin